What is pork hamonado? It's basically pork belly, it can be a solid block or it can be sliced, whichever you prefer. I am not a strict cook myself so I use whatever part of meat we have and boil it until tender. In this case we used pork belly and if it's 'hamonado' this means it's sweetened like the sweet ham we have during Christmas.
Let's get on with the recipe and how I did it.
750 grams pork belly, sliced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1.5 cups pineapple juice
3 pieces medium sized potatoes, quartered
1 big carrot, sliced in discs
salt and pepper
sugar for additional sweetness (this is optional)
3 tspns cornstarch mixed in 3Tbspns cold water (optional)
green onions, roughly chopped
1. Boil 1.5 lb r 750g pork for an hour and take out the scum as soon as it rises to the top.
2. Add 1/2cup soy sauce,1.5 cups pineapple juice & peppercorns.
3. Simmer on low fire with lid closed until the pork is super duper tender. (This took me an additional hour so it would be better to use a pressure cooker if you have one.)
4. Add quarterd potatoes, sliced carrots and pineapple chunks.
5. Simmer until veggies are done.
If you want a runny sauce proceed to step 7.
If you want the liquid to be saucy not runny, please keep reading...
6. Mix 3 tsps cornstarch in 3 Tbsps cold water and add that in the pot. Simmer for a bit until you achieve the sauciness you like.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add some more sugar if you want it to be sweeter then wait for 5 min before tasting it so the sugar's sweetness is incorporated well in the sauce.
9. Garnish with green onion bits upon serving :)
This is best served on top of rice. Yummy!!!!
|Here is the finished product! Pork Hamonado|